Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Life on a Quilt


        
         This picture cracks me up. My friend and I were trying to be very artsy, taking photos of her beautiful baby girl from every angle. This shot was taken by accident and of course is out of focus. But it's hilarious to me. With those beautiful blue eyes, baby seems to be saying, "Somebody help me! I can't keep my balance down here. I don't know what you're doing, but help me!" 

         She sees life from the quilt on the floor, as we tower above her and make all her decisions - where she will lie, when she will eat, when her diaper will be changed, what she will play with. She coos at us, she whines at us, she glows, she glowers. But we are the decision makers. We love her so much. Our perspective is from above and we see what she can't. We stop her when she tries to maneuver to the top of the stairs and drag her back to the centre of the quilt by her tiny feet. We try to distract her with bright round toys and momentarily she is pleased. When she gets bored, she tries to escape again...into the parts of the room that are not so safe, not so baby-proof. She's looking and looking, hungry to experience something new, not so satisfied with life on the quilt. But when she looks into the eyes of her mother, the eyes she knows best, she smiles that gummy grin from ear to ear.

             Are we not like that? Psalm 16:5-6 says,
       "LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made  my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. " 

           There have been times when dissatisfaction has crept into my soul. I've wanted to reach outside the boundaries God has set for me. But these places are unsafe. Other times, I've questioned the timing of God's provision and like the Israelites, I complain about the wilderness. What a more peaceful existence I would lead, if I'd just be content on my "quilt!" If only I'd let God be God and submit to his ways, which are so much higher than mine! For He is good, only good, and He always sees the big picture. The goal here is to look into His eyes, trust Him as a little child, and be grateful for all His grace and provision.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Wow, can I relate. Great analogy Michele.

    "The goal here is to look into His eyes, trust Him as a little child, and be grateful for all His grace and provision." I love this line

    Funny, I just posted a piece that goes well with this one. And it has a picture of a baby too (my grand daughter). You have to check it out.

    Love your new look here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, His grace and provision is perfect. If we could really see all that He is doing for us without us even being aware...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate to this. Wow how you pieced this together from that moment which I sure remember with such fondness.
    Staying in the safe places that God has for us, I am glad that he can see it all, reminds me that I just need to trust and obey....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for joining us, Libby - BEAUTIFUL BABY eh?
    Michele

    ReplyDelete